Ajwain is an anti-inflammatory agent, a digestive aid and a mild laxative substances that loosen stools and increase bowel movements. They are used to treat and prevent constipation. Due to anti-inflammatory properties and the ability to increase mucosal discharge, Ajwain For Health and medicine is superb and also very good immunity booster and helps to fight against cold.
Ajwain For Health
1) Ajwain (Carom Seeds) For Immune Boosting
- The thymol and carvacrol content of ajwain (Carom Seed)
make known excellent antibacterial and antifungal properties which help to prevent dangerous pathogens and infections before they can become stronger.
- Ajwain (Carom Seed) is packed with powerful antioxidants, antiviral and antibacterial properties, which help prevent free radial activity and protect against the seasonal infections and make immune system powerful.
- Test-tube studies have shown ajwain is effective against pathogens like E.coli and Salmonella.
2) Ajwain (Carom Seeds) Improve Digestion
- Thymol present in Ajwain, helps release gastric juices in the stomach which help to break down the food in the stomach and assist in easy digestion, eliminate constipation, alleviate gas, colic and prevents bloating and cramping , heartburn , stomach aches, diarrhoea .
- The carom seeds also improved the activity of digestive enzymes by higher secretion of bile aids thus protective effect on the liver. Ajwain with small quantity of salt, taken with warm water is quite beneficial for indigestion and stomach pain.
3) Ajwain (Carom Seeds) Treat Ear And Tooth-Ache
- Ajwain or carom seeds contains 2-4% of essential oil which contain 35-60 % of thymol. It has antiseptic, antibacterial and antifungal properties.
- Ajwain helps to reduce toothache and act as a natural pain reliever.
- In a terrific ear pain, two drops of ajwain oil are enough.
- In a tooth-ache, gargle 1 teaspoon of ajwain ,salt with a mix of lukewarm water.
- Simply inhaling the fumes of burning ajwain seeds help wonders for an aching tooth.
4)Ajwain (Carom Seeds) Reduce cold, cough and nasal congestion
- Ajwain has antimicrobial ,antibacterial and antiseptic properties, so effective to treat respiratory problems including cold , cough and nasal congestion and very good immunity booster.
- Crushing carom seeds and then mixing them with water can instant remedy to soothe respiratory tract, treat coughs, and also promote the elimination of mucus and phlegm i.e. a type of mucus made in chest.
- It also helps prevent from asthma.
- Carom seeds, thymol has great anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, helpful for sore throats and other infections of the respiratory system.
- For chronic and recurrent cold, it is recommended to take fried seeds of ajwain in the dose of 2 grams for 15-20 days.
- Inhaling of its grind seed is also beneficial in case of headache, migraine and cold & cough. Chewing Ajwain seeds with lukewarm water is also a good cure for Cough.
- Carom seeds or ajwain support in respiratory disease linked with several viral infections, relief from intense pain and discomfort caused due to cold, clogged nose and chest congestion.
5) Ajwain (Carom Seeds) Help in healing wound
- Ajwain has antiseptic and antibacterial properties, therefore used as great cleansing agent for minor wounds and skin infections.
- Thymol is a strong germicidal agent present in ajwain. It helps to sterilize the wound and quicken the healing process.
6) Ajwain (Carom Seeds) Improve Heart Health
- Ajwain has hypolipidemic effect. The extract of the seeds was found to reduce levels of total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol and triglycerides.
- Taking 1 spoon ajwain with warm water helps to stimulate the heart, and old remedy for the chest pain.
7) Ajwain (Carom Seeds) Reduce weight
- Ajwain has laxative properties and can speed up the digestive process which help to withdraw nutrients and prevent the excess fat storage in body.
- Carom seeds can boost the metabolism, further helps with reduce body weight.
- Drink lukewarm water boiled with carom seeds, particularly after a meal, help with digestion and weight loss.
- Ajwain contains thymol which increases the secretion of gastric juices, improves bowel movements and makes the digestion easier.
- The herb helps relieve gastrointestinal problems including indigestion, abdominal gas and the build up of gas in the alimentary canal..
- Regular taking of ajwain helps to control overweight.
8) Ajwain (Carom Seeds) Lowers Acidity
- Ajwain is known for its antispasmodic properties, and when taken with a pinch of rock salt and water, it help from buildup of gas in the digestive system which lead to abdominal discomfort, indigestion.
- Taking one spoon ajwain with one spoon of cumin seeds along with ginger powder daily helpful in acidity , hyperacidity and indigestion.
- Ajwain if taken with the small quantity of salt and warm water also solves indigestion problems.
9) Ajwain (Carom Seeds) Improves Constipation
Due to its laxative properties, ajwain helps to loosen stools and improve bowel movements.
10) Ajwain (Carom Seeds) Good for Asthma
- Ajwain or carom seeds are used for the treatment of asthma.
- Inhalation of the smoke of Ajwain acts as bronchodialator and makes the breathing pattern easier.
- The person suffering from Asthma may take the paste of Ajwain + Jaggery, 1 tsp, twice a day which is helpful in asthma treatment.
11) Ajwain (Carom Seeds) Helps in Breastfeeding and Increases The Milk
- Ajwain seeds is helpful for increasing milk supply in lactating mothers.
- Soaking carom seeds or Ajwain in water and drinking this Ajwain water, twice a day increase milk quantity and quality.
- Ajwain also helps in strengthening the immune system of the mother and the baby.
12) Ajwain (Carom Seeds) Effective Remedy for Piles or Hemorrhoids
Carom or Ajwain powder has also been studied to be fruitful in reducing pain related to piles. It can be taken with buttermilk and rock salt for better result.
13) Ajwain (Carom Seeds) For Pregnant Women
Many women are suggested to have ajwain water post their delivery to help with digestion, lactation and clearing the uterus too.
14) Ajwain (Carom Seeds) Lower Cholesterol Levels
- Ajwain or carom seeds not only lowers total cholesterol and bad cholesterol levels but also boosts the levels of good cholesterol.
- In rat studies, taking of carom seed powder or Ajwain reduced liver cholesterol content by reducing the lipoprotein (soluble proteins that transport fat in the blood) content in the system.
- Carom seeds contain a great deal of fiber , monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids. The dietary fiber in carom seeds help to remove excess cholesterol, thus lowering risk of heart attacks, strokes, and other cardiovascular issue.
15) Ajwain (Carom Seeds) Lower Blood Pressure
- The thymol in the carom seeds is helpful for lowering blood pressure. In rat studies, it produced a fall in blood pressure and heart rate.
- The active plant enzyme thymol in ajwain works as an effective calcium channel blocker which turn away calcium from entering blood vessels of the heart and relaxes and expands blood vessels thereby lowering blood pressure.
- According to Ayurveda ajwain shows antihypertensive properties means good to control high blood pressure.
16) Ajwain (Carom Seeds) Fight Inflammation
Carom seeds or ajwain contain essential components like terpenes, sterols, and glycosides , all of which contribute to anti-inflammatory effects.
17) Ajwain (Carom Seeds) Prevent Kidney Stones
- Carom seeds prevent calcium deposition i.e. it can bind to minerals in the gut and prevent the body from absorbing them. Therefore cut the risk of developing kidney stones or further averting kidney disorders.
- The seeds can maintain renal (kidney) function and reduce renal injury.
18) Ajwain (Carom Seeds) Treat Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Ajwain seeds possess two qualities that help them fight arthritis. They have antibiotic properties that reduce redness and combat inflammation, and they possess anaesthetic properties that soothe the pain and swelling.
19) Ajwain (Carom Seeds) For Cleaning Wounds & Burns
- A component known as thymol in Ajwain (Carom Seeds) acts as a strong fungicide and germicide. Thus, ajwain seeds can be crushed and applied on the skin to treat infections or cuts or lightening acne scars.
- For removing dirt from skin apply a paste of ajwain on the affected area for 10-15 minutes and then rinse.
20) Ajwain (Carom Seeds) Fights Against Fungi & Harmful Bacteria
- Ajwain or Carom seeds have powerful antibacterial and antifungal properties.
- This is likely attributed to two of its active compounds, thymol and carvacrol, which have been shown to fight against the growth of bacteria and fungi.
21) Ajwain (Carom Seeds) Treat Viral Infections
- The antiviral properties of ajwain and thymol help to keep the viral infections takes away.
22) Ajwain for Health benefits
- It acts as good appetizer, laxative and stomachic.
- It is used as effective remedy in managing ailments like vomiting, mouth diseases, pile, abdominal tumor, abdominal pain etc.
- Ajwain oil can also be used to massage legs and knees to get relief from pain from arthritis.
- It is beneficial in treatment of rheumatic and neuralgic pain. Gargle with lukewarm water prepared by boiling of Ajwain and little salt two to three times a day, it cures tooth pain.
- Drinking hot water after chewing little Ajwain cures cough.
- Chewing betel leaf with Ajwain at night before sleeping controls and cures dry coughing.
Nutritional Value of Ajwain (Carom Seeds)
Ajwain seeds and its oil have a lot of nutritional value, which is as follows; Protein – 17.1%, Fats – 21.8%, Minerals – 7.8%, Fibre – 21.2%, Carbohydrate – 24.6%. It also comprises of calcium, potassium, sodium, phosphorus, thiamine, iron, niacin. Hydrolysis of ajwain seeds yields an essential oil consisting of Thymol, gamma – terpinene, p – cymene as well as 20% trace compounds.( predominantly terpenoids).
Uses of Ajwain or Carom Seeds
Ajwain is used for flavoring pickles, seasoning chicken, and fishes along with other spices. It is also used for making herbal tea. It is used in flavoring snacks, biscuits, sauces and soups. They are also used as mouth fresheners. Ajwain oil is used in various cosmetics and pharmaceuticals.
How To Make Ajwain Water
Take 1 teaspoon of Ajwain seeds. Add it to 1 glass of warm water. Let it stand overnight. Drink this water whenever required for its potent antispasmodic action.
Ajwain water help in gastric problems like diarrhoea, stomach ache, muscle cramps or stomach infections. It soothes the throat and ears in cough or cold, provides relief from arthritis pain, manages blood pressure etc.
How To Make Ajwain Laddu for Immune Boosting
Take 250 gm Ajwain (carom seeds) powder , 250 gm Dry coconut Gratted, 100 gm Gound , 50 gm gratted Almond ,50 gm gratted cashews ,50 gm gratted walnut, 4 tbsp Ghee , 1 tbsp Dry ginger powder ,100 gm Gud (jaggery).
Heat 1 tablespoon ghee in a heavy bottomed pan . Add Gound and fry it on low flame till it turns slightly brown in colour. Crushed it and kept in a plate. In same way fry Ajwain powder, Ginger powder ,dry gratted coconut and kept aside. Heat the Gud or Jaggery in a pan till melted.
Mix all the ingredients well. Wait until heat reduces to bearable amount to touch. Make small balls of round shapes. Put it in an airtight container.
Side Effects of Ajwain or Carom Seeds
Ajwain for health generally do not cause any side effects when consumed in moderate amounts. But over-consumption may lead to several adverse effects.
1)Increases the risk of skin cancer
Excess consumption of Ajwain can make the skin more sensitive to sun which further increases the risk of skin cancer.
2)Affects Pregnancy Adversely
Women who consumes ajwain during their pregnancy should be careful because too much ajwain can increase the level of heat in the body and may cause various problems with pregnancy.
it may also cause photosensitivity.
4)Dizziness and nausea
it may cause stomach ulcer and heartburns, leads to dizziness and nausea,
Give your opinion in the below comment box. If you want, you can also post your articles on my website www.mylifemyfiction.com through post my blog menu.