Cinnamon for health is a rich source of antioxidants like polyphenols and proanthocyanidins that give a boost to the immune system. One of the active ingredients found in the cinnamon bark , called cinnamaldehyde, has antibacterial properties. Which help to fight infections and viruses and responsible for most of its medicinal properties.
Cinnamon for health contains coumarin, a powerful blood-thinning agent. Warfarin, the most commonly used blood-thinning drug, is derived from coumarin. Research studies have found that cinnamon has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, immunomodulatory, antimicrobial, and antitumor properties which help in many diseases and infections.
Table of Content
1)What Is Cinnamon (Darchini)?
2)Benefits of Cinnamon (Darchini) For Health
3)Cinnamon (Darchini) Nutrition
4)Cinnamon (Darchini) Uses
5)Cinnamon (Darchini) Side Effects
What Is Cinnamon?
Cinnamon comes from the inner bark of a small evergreen tree. The bark is peeled and laid in the sun to dry, where it curls up into rolls known as cinnamon sticks. Cinnamon is also available in a powdered form. It has a pleasant flavour and warm smell that has made it popular in cooking, particularly in baking and curries. There are two main types: Ceylon and Cassia cinnamon
Benefits of Cinnamon (Darchini) For Health
1)Cinnamon Help Immune Boosting
- Cinnamon bark contains catechins and procyanidins that possess antioxidant activity which protect the body from oxidative stress caused by free radicals.
- (Darchini) Cinnamon bark also contains polyphenols and flavonoids that have free radical-hunting properties.
- Cinnamyl acetate, cinnamyl alcohol and cinnamaldehyde the essesntial component of Cinnamon can help the immune system considering of their antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties and make it a strong immunity-booster.
- A daily dose of ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder (Darchini)
with 1 tablespoon honey , boost the immune system and protect the body from viral, bacterial and fungal diseases.
2) Cinnamon Protect from free radicals
- Cinnamon (Darchini) is packed with valuable nutrients including Vitamins A, B6, C, E and K and when compared with other spices , it cover top position in protecting our body from free radicals.
3) Cinnamon Health benefits
- Cinnamon (Darchini) help to prevent heart disease, neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s .
- Traditionally used for loss of appetite, colds, flu, flatulence, indigestion and help to fight respiratory tract bacterial infections.
- Cinnamon is also high in immune boosting antioxidants and can improve digestion.
- Cinnamon is rich in antioxidant polyphenols and proanthocyanidins. It also provides us with good amounts of manganese, calcium, fiber and iron.
Skin disorders, rheumatism, respiratory problems, heart disorders and diabetes have been treated effectively with Cinnamon(Darchini) .
Cinnamaldehyde, a compound present in cinnamon(darchini) is also known to have an anti-carcinogenic(substance that causes cancer) effect.
- Cinnamon prevents blood platelet clumping, inhibits inflammatory substances, and can regulate blood sugar.
4) Cinnamon Helpful in HIV Virus
Test-tube studies have shown that cinnamon can help fight HIV-1, the main type of HIV virus in humans.
5) Cinnamon Helpful for Heart Problem
- Cinnamon anti-inflammatory properties helps cardiovascular system and blood circulation. It make the blood thin and slippery thus reduce the load on heart.
- Cinnamon has a balancing effect on blood pressure and supports a healthy heart muscle while supporting lowered triglyceride levels and increase HDL cholesterol.
- Cinnamon has been shown to lower bad (LDL) cholesterol , triglycerides while increasing good (HDL) cholesterol.
The study consisted of 60 individuals with type 2 diabetes. The participants were divided into six groups: three received a placebo while three received varying doses of cinnamon for a period of 40 days. Results showed that all three cinnamon groups experienced a decrease in lipid levels, total cholesterol, and bad LDL cholesterol levels. The placebo groups demonstrated no noticeable changes.
6) Cinnamon Boost Metabolism
Cinnamon contains manganese, which helps body metabolize proteins and carbohydrates.
7)Cinnamon Improve Brain Function
- Studies are finding that cinnamon might help in the fight against neurological diseases like Alzheimer’s.
- It may restrict proteins that cause improper chemical signals in the brain, and stimulate new neural passages which help improve daily concentration and focus.
- Studies in animal models have shown that cinnamon improves memory and learning by reducing oxidative stress in the brain.
- A study published in the Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease found that Ceylon cinnamon prevent the defective and improper chemical signals in the brain.
- An animal study published in 2014 also found that cinnamon helps protect neurons and improve motor function in mice with Parkinson’s.
- The cinnamon helped to protect the Dopamine (happy hormone responsible for our experiencing happiness ) , which is a neurotransmitter made in the brain, acts as a chemical messenger between neurons.
8) Cinnamon Fight Free Radicals
- Cinnamon is packed full of antioxidants called flavonoids, which protect body from oxidative stress caused by free radicals and preventing chronic disease.
9) Cinnamon Anti-Microbial Properties
Cinnamon can kill bacteria, viruses and even drug-resistant fungi.
10) Cinnamon Anti Cancer Properties
Cinnamon block the function of a molecule called NF-kappaB which turns on many cancer causing genes. It can also block proteins that allow cancers to access our blood supply and spread throughout the body.
11)Cinnamon Balance Hormone Cycle
Study conducted by researchers at Columbia University in New York, cinnamon improved menstrual regularity in women with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS).
12) Cinnamon Anti-Inflammatory Properties
- Cinnamon is an anti-inflammatory compound which blocks inflammatory molecules like arachidonic acid and TNF-alpha, keeping unnecessary inflammation in check and inflammation-related diseases keep on side.
- A study published in Food & Function found that Ceylon cinnamon was one of the most powerful anti-inflammatory foods.
13) Cinnamon Antibacterial Properties
- Cinnamon has antibacterial benefits for the mouth and fight bad-breath causing germs and infection .
- It helpful for tooth infections, inflammation of the gums and ulcer of the mouth.
14) Cinnamon Lower Sugar Level
- It’s also a powerful anti-diabetic and helps lower blood sugar levels.
- Studies on type II diabetics have shown that even less than 1/2 a teaspoon a day of cinnamon for 4 months reduces blood glucose levels.
- There is evidence that cinnamon improves the function of insulin, the hormone that influences our cells to soak up blood sugar and use it for energy.
- 500mg cinnamon supplements twice daily for 90 days could improve hemoglobin A1C levels in those with type-2 diabetes.
- According to a 2003 survey conducted with people suffering from Type 2 diabetes, the blood sugar levels were cut by 20% and cholesterol decreased by 18% when volunteers consumed 1-6 gms cinnamon every day.
15) Cinnamon for Hair Health
- It strengthening hair follicles.
- In a cup of cinnamon tea add a tablespoon of raw honey and gently rub it into your scalp. After 10 minutes, rinse thoroughly with warm water.
16) Cinnamon Remove Bad Breath
- Antibacterial properties keep at bay bad breath bacteria.
- Drinking the cinnamon tea helpful for freshen the breath.
17) Cinnamon Cure Cough and cold
- Inhale the vapour of cinnamon relieve congestion .It calms the vata and kapha doshas.
- Mix 1/4 tablespoon of cinnamon powder in a spoonful of honey and have this once a day for three days. This prevent cold ,cough and painful sinuses. It helps in clearing the sinuses and keep infections away.
Cinnamon (Darchini) Nutrition
Ground cinnamon is composed of around 11% water, 81% carbohydrates (including 53% dietary fiber), 4% protein, and 1% fat. In a 100 gram reference amount, ground cinnamon is a rich source of calcium (100% of the Daily Value (DV)), iron (64% DV), and vitamin K (30% DV).
Cinnamon (Darchini) Uses
Cinnamon tea is herbal tea made by brewing cinnamon bark in hot water. It is generally made with cinnamon sticks, though crushed bark, cinnamon powder, or cinnamon extract may also be used.
Drinking cinnamon tea or taking cinnamon supplements may help support healthy blood sugar levels, blood pressure management, and healthy cholesterol levels
Cinnamon (Darchini) Side Effects
Cinnamon usually causes no side effects but eating too much may cause health problems because it contains high amounts of a compound called coumarin.
1)Lower blood sugar
Cinnamon may affect blood sugar as it has a Powerful Anti-Diabetic Effect so if you have diabetes and take cinnamon supplements, you might need to adjust your treatment.
2)Irritation and allergies
Cinnamon contains cinnamaldehyde, a compound that may trigger an allergic reaction when consumed in large amounts. Heavy use could irritate mouth and lips, causing sores, white patches in the mouth.. It might cause redness and irritation .
3)May Cause Liver Damage
several studies have found that eating too much coumarin may cause liver toxicity and damage. Cinnamon contains high amounts of coumarin, which has been linked to conditions like liver damage and cancer.
4)May Cause Breathing Problems
Eating too much ground cinnamon in a single sitting may cause breathing problems. People with asthma or other medical conditions that affect breathing need to be especially careful of accidentally inhaling cinnamon.
Give your opinion in the below comment box. If you want, you can also post your articles on my website www.mylifemyfiction.com through post my blog menu.