Coriander (Dhaniya) for health offers antioxidant compounds that prevent cellular damage caused by free radicals and fight inflammation in the body. These compounds include terpinene, quercetin, and tocopherols, which may have anticancer, anti-inflammatory, immune-boosting, and neuroprotective effects.
1)Benefits of Coriander (Dhaniya) For Health
2)Components of Coriander seeds (Dhaniya)
3)Side Effects Of Coriander Seeds(Dhaniya)
4)Uses of Coriander Seeds(Dhaniya)
Benefits of Coriander (Dhaniya) For Health
1)Coriander Seeds (Dhaniya) Help Immune Boosting
- Coriander is famous for its powerful anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antiseptic, anti-bacterial and detoxifying abilities and protecting various body tissues.
- Coriander regularly detoxifies the body by flushing out the toxins. It also cleanses the liver,testes, blood vessels and the brain by clearing the fat and dying tissue, lead, poisonous metals in it.
- Coriander decreased lead producing oxidative stress, while improving antioxidant defence enzymes, sperm production, liver and brain function.
- It increase production of structural proteins like collagen, elastin and immune boosting proteins (cytokines) such as TGF-beta1, while decreasing inflammatory causing proteins.
2)Coriander Seeds Lower Blood Sugar
- It helps to lower blood sugar by activating certain enzymes that helps remove sugar from the blood.
- Coriander has low value on the glycemic index with an impressive list of powerful antioxidants. In addition Vitamin-C is a strong ROS hunter and has been shown to lower blood sugar levels.
- Animal trials prove coriander as a anti-diabetic drug (glibenclamide) by lowering blood glucose through greater insulin secretion.
3)Coriander Seeds Improve Heart Health
- Coriander’s anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and antispasmodic abilities are shown to lower heart disease risk factors as it reduce high blood pressure, blood sugar , low density lipoprotein (LDL) and very low density lipoprotein (VLDL) cholesterol while increasing high density lipoprotein (HDL) good cholesterol levels.
- It contains number of phytonutrients which protect tissues (preventing lipid peroxidation), enhance HDL-cholesterol and antioxidant enzymes (like superoxide dismutase (SOD) and catalase (CAT)) .
- These are rich in copper, zinc, iron and other essential minerals that increases RBC and improves heart health. Coriander seeds also help in increasing metabolism.
- Coriander contains fiber, which helps with digestive health and lowering of overall blood lipids, reducing blood clot formation and chances of a heart attack and stroke.
4)Coriander Seeds Improve Memory and Reduce Anxiety
- The antioxidants in coriander reduce brain inflammation, protect against nerve-cell damage, improve memory and reduce anxiety symptoms.
- Due to antioxidative and anti-inflammatory activities of coriander, the neurons get less exposed to oxidative stress and protect against brain diseases.
- One test-tube study found that the antioxidants in coriander seed extract lowered inflammation and slowed the growth of lung, prostate, breast, and colon cancer cells .
5)Coriander Seeds Improve Digestion
- Coriander may reduce unpleasant digestive symptoms like bloating and irritable bowel syndrome, gastric, constipation ,diarrhea, nausea etc and decreases abdominal pain.
- The antioxidant compounds of coriander like terpenes (such as linanool), flavonoids, coumarins, catechins, and other polyphenoilcs act as free-radical hunter, prevent stomach ulcers and help to formation of the protective digestive lining.
- It contents dietary fibers and are also a good source of antioxidants which help in producing digestive hormones, stimulates a better liver function.
6) Coriander Seeds Fight Bacteria , Fungus and Foodborne Illnesses
- Antibacterial powers are due to dodecenal – a compound found in coriander (both seeds and leaves) in high concentrations which is a great Salmonella killer and found to be twice as powerful as a standard medical antibiotic gentamicin.
- Coriander appears especially effective against conditions caused by Salmonella choleraesuis (Salmonella), which include food poisoning, dysentery, cholera and typhoid.
- Antioxidants are the counter-active molecules that react with ROS and neutralize their effect, protecting the body systems against cell damage.
7)Coriander Seeds Prevents Anaemia
- Coriander is a powerhouse of iron which increase the haemoglobin levels and prevents anaemia .
- Due to coriander’s antifungal and antimicrobial elements, it acts as a great anti-bacterial, detoxifier and anti-inflammatory agent.
8)Coriander Seeds Helpful for Skin
- Abundant antioxidants,minerals in coriander extract help prevent cellular damage that can lead to quick skin ageing , skin damage from ultraviolet B radiation, skin allergies and redness ,eczema ,smallpox,mild rashes like dermatitis etc.
- It fights against free radicals that damage the skin. Act as a natural antiseptic, an antimicrobial and antifungal agent and soothes and cools the skin.
- Coriander act as a scrub and deep cleanse the skin and effective at removing dead skin cells , blackheads and rejuvenate the skin and also effective in restoring skin’s elasticity.
- It contains vitamin A that maintains the mucous membrane of the skin. It delays the attack of wrinkles, reduces fine lines ,skin eruptions and pigmentation. It also keeps the skin hydrated and glowing.
- Coriander is effective in relieving acidity, Redness, bumps ,pimples and acne are formed due to acid formation in the body. Coriander intake can reduce acidity and get rid of various skin eruptions.
- The linoleic acid within the seeds further relieves pain (analgesic) within rheumatism and arthritis. The antiseptic properties suppress bacterial growth.
9)Coriander Seeds Improve Kidney function
- Coriander is effective at treating urinary tract problems, burning urination and infections. It improve the filtration rate of kidneys by enabling quicker urine generation.
- It leads to lower water retention in the body and allows it to flush out toxins and microbes.It is a mild diuretic that does not overburden the kidneys with excessive activity and strengthens the urinary system.
- The diuretic effect of the coriander helps weight loss by removing excess water, toxins and waste form the body . This speeds up the gut emptying process, while eliminating water retention and bloating effect.
10)Coriander Seeds Health Benefits
- It contain micronutrients which boost digestion, internal health and immunity and the phytonutrients which possess strong antibacterial and antimicrobial properties and help in preventing the spread of food-borne pathogens.
- Linalool is the main active ingredient in coriander which is a strong antioxidant ,antibacterial,anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, anti-depressant and neuro-protective properties and strong agent for cardiovascular improvement.
- Terpenes are the major building blocks of many vital compounds (like steroids), and possess extensive health properties. It has been extensively used for its anti-inflammatory and anti-depressant abilities affecting nervous system and producing a calming effect.
- Coriander is extremely rich in folate, antioxidants, vitamin C and beta-carotene that helps in hormone regulation. Coriander Seeds can ease gas and bloating while improving overall digestion.
11)Coriander Seeds prevents allergies
Allergic reactions caused by coming in contact plants, insects and food can be controlled by applying coriander seed oil. It helps subdue swelling of throat and its glands.
12)Coriander Seeds prevents menstrual disorders
Being an excellent stimulant, coriander seeds help maintain proper levels of secretion from the endocrine glands. Hormones when secreted in the right amount and at proper intervals help regulate various body functions and especially menstruation in women.
Meanwhile, Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan, in a tweet, said that the herb has unique properties to fight infections, aid digestion, and even control anxiety. Quoting Ayurveda, the minister also said that coriander has a role in strengthening immunity.
Coriander essential oil form ranks #4 on the ORAC Scale for antioxidant value amongst top 72 essential oils across the world.
Components of Coriander Seeds(Dhaniya)
Components of coriander are protein, carbohydrates, dietary fiber, polyunsaturated fats (omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids), petroselinic acid (omega-12), monounsaturated fats,vitamin B1 (thiamin),vitamin B2 (riboflavin),vitamin B3 (niacin),vitamin B6,vitamin B9 (folate),vitamin B12,vitamin C (L-ascorbic acid), calcium, copper, phosphorus, manganese, magnesium, sodium, zinc, selenium, iron. In addition, they also contain 40-50% linalool, a terpenoid characterised by its antioxidant, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory. It is a great source of Vitamin A, Vitamin K, Folate and Potassium. Coriander seeds have a high content of phytonutrients, flavonoids and phenolic compounds.
Side Effects Of Coriander Seeds (Dhaniya)
Allergic reactions like rashes, itching, swelling on face/throat, dizziness etc are seen from the usage of coriander seeds.
2)Pregnancy And Breastfeeding
Use coriander seeds in limited amounts because of its effect on gland secretion, which can cause damage to the mother and fetus as well as reproductive glands.
Prolonged and excessive use of coriander seeds can lead to breathing problems accompanied by chest pain, throat dryness, and throat tightening.
Prolonged or excess use of coriander seeds may cause gastrointestinal problems, such as diarrhea, stomach ache, loss of appetite, and dehydration.
5)Low Blood Sugar
Monitor blood sugar level before using coriander as its supplementation may reduce blood sugar level drastically.
6)Low blood pressure
Coriander might decrease blood pressure. This could cause blood pressure to go to low in people with low blood pressure. Use cautiously if you have low blood pressure or take medications to lower your blood pressure.
It might interfere with blood sugar control during surgery. Avoid using coriander at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.
Coriander may interfere with certain medications that increase photosensitivity, or sedative medications.
Uses of Coriander Seeds( Dhaniya)
Coriander is used as a spice to flavor food, cosmetics, and tobacco products.It has also been used as a medicinal aid for centuries
How To Make Coriander Water for Immune Boosting
1)To make coriander water, all you have to do is soak 1 tablespoon coriander seeds in 1 cup drinking water, overnight. In the morning, strain the seeds and drink the water.
2)Take one tablespoon of coriander seeds and put it in the boiling water for sometime than let it cool. Keep the water with the coriander seeds overnight and filter the water in the morning.
3)Take 2 tablespoons of coriander seeds, Drinkable water, 2 tablespoons of honey. Add the coriander seeds to the boiling water and cover it. Let it boil on a low heat for 15-20 minutes. For instant use ,strain the water in a glass and add the honey to taste.
For thyroid gland issues, Coriander water has been used since old days. To improve thyroid symptoms, drink this water every morning on empty stomach for some period. The level of antioxidants and vitamins in coriander work to naturally heal the thyroid and regulate the production of the thyroid hormone. It is a major treatment in Ayurvedic medicine.
Give your opinion in the below comment box. If you want, you can also post your articles on my website www.mylifemyfiction.com through post my blog menu.