What is Garlic
Garlic (Lahsoon ) is a health beneficial food that boosts immunity, fight with various infections, great for rejuvenation, healing of skin scars, helping keep the digestive system clean by flushing out toxins, gives a glow to the skin etc. It also builds the immunity against common cold and prevents heart ailments by clearing up blocked arteries. Garlic has been used as an antiseptic, antibacterial, antibiotic and antifungal agent which help the body by restricting or killing viruses , microbes and protect from various infections. Several research done on it shows numerous benefits of Garlic for health and medicine.
Table Of Contents
1)What is Garlic
2)Garlic Benefits For Health
3)Garlic Nutrient Value
5)Uses of Garlic
6)Dosage of Garlic
6)Side Effects of Garlic
Garlic (Lahsoon) For Health
1)Garlic Boost Immunity
- Garlic contain compounds that help the immune system to fight against germ and increase the disease-fighting capacity of white blood cells in the body during viruses encounter.
- Garlic boosts the immune system that is assigned with fighting viruses and attackers or pathogens.
- In one small study of people who had inoperable pancreatic, rectum or liver cancers, immune function was improved when participants took aged garlic extract for 6 months.
- It contains many flavonoid antioxidants like β – carotene, zeaxanthin, and vitamins like vitamin-C which helps the body develop resistance against infectious agents and pro-inflammatory free radicals.
- Benefits of Garlic for health as strong immunity booster is widespread.
2)Garlic as Powerful Antioxidant
- Fresh garlic contains an amino acid called alliin (S-allyl cysteine sulfoxide), a potent antioxidant with cardioprotective and neuroprotective actions.
- Alliin and alliinase interact to form allicin, which is considered the major biologically active component of garlic.
- When the garlic clove is crushed, chopped or chewed, an enzyme allicin, is released which is very beneficial for the health of our body.
- Garlic (Allium sativum L.) has high content of organo sulfur compounds and antioxidant activity further as an antioxidant Garlic benefits for many disease and infections.
3)Garlic as Powerful Antibiotic
- Garlic is one of the most powerful antibiotics which helps prevent the bacterial action in the gut.
- Garlic contains abundant antibiotic and antifungal sulphur compounds including allicin, allin and ajeone which are helpful in various infections.
- Studies suggest diluted garlic extract helps children with tapeworm infections.
- Garlic treat skin fungal infections and helps in skin ailments like eczema.
4)Garlic Has Powerful Anti-microbial, Antifungal and Anti-protozoal properties
- Garlic has been used from ancient for fighting with infectious disease. Recently, it is found for opposed to gram-positive, gram-negative, and acid-fast bacteria i.e.group of bacteria sharing the characteristic of acid fastness also.
Garlic reactive to many fungus or parasite. For exp- Candida parasites or fungi occur especially in the mouth, vagina, and intestinal tract.
- Several studies have shown that the garlic extract was effective against protozoa , Candida albicans or Infectious disease like white patches, vaginal discharge, itchy.
- Garlic is a great antifungal, for treating fungal infections like irritating and itchy athlete’s foot.
- Boil the water with crushed cloves of garlic, kept aside, and put the affected foot for half an hour in lukewarm water.
6)Garlic Improved Memory
- Garlic contains a powerful antioxidant S-allyl cysteine which protect the damage from free radicals and keeping brain function improving thus protect the brain damage. Consequently reduced risk of brain disorders like Alzheimer’s disease.
7)Garlic has Anticancer properties
- Garlic is rich in anti-inflammatory, antibiotic and anti-carcinogenic properties with very rich in detoxification and antioxidants. It strengthen the immunity of the body against cancer.
- Significant evidence suggests that garlic can play a role in the prevention of cancer and the slowing of its progression.
- Garlic has abundant phytochemical, means one type of compounds that are produced by plants which is biologically active and function to protect plants against invasion, disease, and infection and protect cells from damage that could lead to cancer.
- A 2014 meta-analysis of observational epidemiological studies found that garlic consumption was associated with a lower risk of stomach cancer in Korean people.
- A 2013 meta-analysis of epidemiological studies found garlic intake to be associated with decreased risk of prostate cancer.
- Raw eating of Garlic on an empty stomach can help prevent some forms of cancer.
8)Garlic helpful in Ear infections
- Garlic can kill the bacteria that cause ear infections.
- Crush a clove of garlic , place it in a teaspoon of hot olive oil or mustard oil for five minutes. Strain, allow to cool and drip 2 drops into ear canal.
9)Garlic Prevent Gas
- Garlic kills harmful intestinal bacteria and promotes the growth of good bacteria which help to digest food and keep gut healthy thus making digestion much easier.
- Garlic is rich in antioxidants and probiotics .
- Probiotics are made up of good bacteria or called live bacteria that helps keep body healthy and working well , especially digestive system.
- These components help increase gut health.
10)Garlic Help Sexually
- Garlic contains allicin, a compound thought to increase blood flow to the sexual organs. Some experts believe that garlic is a very powerful aphrodisiac(stimulating sexual desire).
- Garlic contain selenium and vitamin B6, which are important for the production of healthy sperm.
- It also improves the blood flow to the testicles.
11)Garlic Treat Heart Disease
- The potential benefits of garlic help in heart attack (myocardial infarct), coronary artery disease (CAD), reduction of serum cholesterol ,triglyceride, high blood pressure (hypertension) , inhibition of platelet aggregation, increasing fibrinolytic activity and prevention of atherosclerosis.
- Garlic increases production of nitric oxide which keeps blood vessels relaxed. It also prevents platelets from binding to proteins, which reduces blood clots. It helps to lower cholesterol levels because of the component Allicin, anti-oxidant properties.
- Daily consumption of Garlic decrease blood vessel damage and increase flexibility of our blood vessels.
- The vinyldithiins, diallyl polysulfoxides, and a sulfur-containing compound called thiacremonone have been most closely associated with the anti-inflammatory activity of garlic in our cardiovascular system.
12)Garlic Lower Blood Pressure
- Garlic has anti-inflammatory benefits and helps blood flow more easily through the body.
- Several studies found that blood pressure was lowered by 10% when the participant took garlic supplements.
13)Garlic Purifies the Blood
- Eating garlic on an empty stomach is great for blood circulation.
- The detoxification agents in garlic help remove impurities in bloodstream and can improve blood vessel health.
- The antioxidants, antibiotic and anti-inflammation properties all play a important role in the purification of blood.
14)Garlic For Hair Growth
- Garlic has anti-microbial properties that help kill germs and bacteria, which are responsible for causing damage to the scalp, further inhibiting hair growth.
- Raw garlic is known to be rich in vitamin C content that is great for promoting hair-health.
- It also boosts collagen production that helps stimulate hair growth.
15)Garlic For Health Benefits
- It ranks as an excellent source of manganese and vitamin B6, a very good source of vitamin C and copper, and a good source of selenium, phosphorus, vitamin B1, and calcium in our WHO Foods rating system,
- Diallyl sulfide (DAS) and other organosulfur compounds are chief constituents of garlic. These compounds have many health benefits, as they are very efficient in detoxifying natural agents. Therefore, these compounds may be useful for prevention/treatment of cancers.
- It is studied that Diallyl sulfide, garlic element , 100 times more effective than two popular antibiotics in fighting the Campylobacter bacterium (most common causes of intestinal infections).
- Garlic are rich in antioxidants that destroy free radicals ,thus helpful in Alzheimer’s disease, heart disease, cancers, and other conditions.
- It helps to decrease serum levels of glucose, insulin, triglycerides, and uric acid, as well as insulin resistance, and reduces cytokine levels, high cholesterol,muscle soreness,atherosclerosis,slow down hardening of the arteries,helps to lower blood pressure.
- It has antibacterial and antiviral effects which help to fight the common cold. A 12-week study found that, compared to a placebo, garlic reduced the number of participants with the common cold by 63%.
- Garlic supplements increase antioxidant enzymes in humans, reducing oxidative stress in individuals with high blood pressure.
- Garlic has great anti-oxidant properties, and helps in reducing stress and high blood pressure. It also helps to enhance thiamine (vitamin B1) absorption in the body and prevents beriberi.
- According to Meghna Krishna, Clinical Nutritionist, “The main ingredient of garlic which fights the germs is Allicin and the best way to use garlic as an immune booster is to eat it raw.
- Macrobiotic Nutritionist and Health Practitioner Shilpa Arora ND says, “Raw garlic in the morning, on an empty stomach is very beneficial for lipid profile. It’s a natural blood thinner, which helps stabilise high blood pressure and cholesterol levels.”
Thus from above description Benefits of Garlic for health, medicine and disease are well understood.
Garlic Nutrient Value for 100 g are following
Total-ORAC value 5346 µmol TE/100 g.
|Principle||Nutrient Value||Percentage of RDA|
|Total Fat||0.5 g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber||2.1 g||5.5%|
|Pantothenic acid||0.596 mg||12%|
|Vitamin A||9 IU||<1%|
|Vitamin C||31.2 mg||52%|
|Vitamin E||0.08 mg||0.5%|
|Vitamin K||1.7 µg||1.5%|
|Calcium||181 mg||18 %|
Uses of Garlic
How To Eat Raw Garlic
Raw garlic has a remarkably greater nutritive value than cooked. Thus kick off the days with garlic.
- Take fresh garlic as, the allicin compounds reduced very fast , if the garlic is exposed so long.
- Peel the garlic clove strip off as needed and rest kept in the refrigerator.
- Cut a small peeled part , swallow it with a full glass of water, if garlic pungent flavour during chewing is not tolerated.
- It is advisable to swallow garlic with water.
- Begin the day with lukewarm water improve metabolism process very well and give maximum benefits of Garlic.
Benefits of Garlic For Health When Eating Raw
1)Benefits of Garlic for health on empty stomach is marvellous thus preventing and curing different diseases.
2)Take two cloves of raw garlic with some warm water in the morning on empty stomach everyday.
3)Studies have shown that garlic if eaten on an empty stomach acts as a powerful antibiotic. It is more effective when you eat it before breakfast because bacteria is exposed and cannot defend itself from succumbing to its power.
4)Garlic is a great ingredient to consume daily. Be it cooked or raw, garlic is safe for your body and has numerous immune system boosting elements.
5)if want to lose weight than add half a lemon in a glass of luke warm water and have it with 2 cloves of garlic in the mornings empty stomach.
Dosage of Garlic
Dosages generally recommended for adults are 4 g (one to two cloves) of raw garlic per day.
or one 300-mg dried garlic powder tablet two to three times per day
or 7.2 g of aged garlic extract per day.
Side Effects of Garlic
Like everything garlic has also some pros and cons. Benefits of Garlic for health is countless as compare to side effects. However below mention points describes some negative side having excess garlic.
1)Garlic should be avoided before surgeries or medical operations.
2) When taken by mouth garlic can cause bad breath, a burning sensation in the mouth or stomach, heartburn, gas, nausea etc.
3)Overdoing can cause discomfort like upset stomach, vomiting, bloating, diarrhoea and body odour.
4)The sulfide compounds in the garlic metabolized to allyl methyl sulfide, which is excreted through sweat and breathe producing unpleasant odour and breath.
4)Strong smell of garlic becomes unbearable to many people. Garlic is known to cause bad breath and body odour, i.e. “garlicky” smell because of allyl methyl sulfide (AMS) , which is a volatile liquid absorbed into the blood during the metabolism of garlic-derived sulfur compounds; from the blood it travels to the lungs and from there to the mouth, causing bad breath.
5)Garlic if taken in its raw form may trigger headache . It doesn’t cause headache on the spot but can trigger the process. As per various studies, consuming raw garlic might stimulate the trigeminal nerve to release neuropeptides that goes to the membrane covering of the brain and triggers headache.
6)Eating excess garlic may lead to skin irritation and rashes. Garlic contains an enzyme called alliinase, which is usually the cause of skin rashes.
7)Garlic cloves may irritate the tender tissue of the vagina . So while suffering from vaginal infection , avoid eating garlic as it can aggravate the yeast infection by irritating the tender tissues of the vagina.
8)It has been found that excessive ingestion of garlic can lead to a condition called hyphema, which refers to bleeding inside the eye chamber – the space between the iris and the cornea and lead to vision loss.
Related HealthCare articles
Give your opinion in the below comment box. If you want, you can also post your articles on my website www.mylifemyfiction.com through post my blog menu.